You can reverse the signs of aging with these healthy superfoods: spinach that contains antioxidants, vitamin C, E and K and aids in the growth of skin cells, green tea, goji berries, spices like cardamom, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, licorice powder, and turmeric and tomatoes that contain lycopene which is known to protect the skin.
Aging is a natural process but people may make it better or worse. There are various products in the market that prevent the aging process but we undo the benefits by our unhealthy eating habits. Aside from various synthetic products that promise dramatic anti-aging results, super foods also plays a vital role in the aging process. “You are what you eat” is an old adage that has never been more true. Learn and understand the 5 anti-aging super foods and how it benefits you.
This dark green leafy vegetable is a native to Asia as considered as a functional super food due to its high nutritional content. Spinach is widely known as rich in iron, a mineral that plays a vital role in carrying oxygen to all cells of the body. Just like the other organs in the body, our skin needs nutrients to make it healthy and glowing. Here are some of the benefits of spinach.
- It is loaded with vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene that works to protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays
- It contains antioxidants that help combat the free radicals, the number one factor of premature ageing of the skin.
- The antioxidants also aid in the growth of the skin cells.
- The vitamin K in spinach, along with folate, helps fight inflammation that causes acne, dry itchy skin, bruising on the skin and dark circles.
Green tea is another anti-aging superstar that keeps your skin wrinkle-free and younger looking. For many years, green tea has been touted to be beneficial for the skin. It is those antioxidants again that provides a number of benefits for the skin. Keeping a bunch of antioxidants in your body helps prevent the onset of wrinkles and inflammation. Green tea is also an effective way to prevent psoriasis by slowing down the production of excess skin cells.
Goji berries are native to China but their popularity has made it through the various parts of the globe. If you are not in China, these berries are sold in dried forms or juice concentrate. This bright orange-red berry has long been heralded for its antioxidants and essential nutrients. Mainly, it contains various antioxidants and vitamin E that are all essential for a soft glowing skin.
Spices like cardamom, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, licorice powder, and turmeric contains a variety of amazing benefits for the skin.
- Cayenne and Paprika is a good source of vitamins A and C, acts as an antioxidants that is known to fight the free radicals that damages the skin collagen.
- Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin that has anti-inflammatory properties. This anti-inflammatory agent reduces inflammation such as acne.
- Cardamom helps cleanse the skin, thereby removing all toxins and promotes a natural glow.
- Ginger contains 40 antioxidants that eliminates toxins and stimulates circulation.
- Cinnamon stimulates the blood vessels thus bringing the blood to the surface of the skin. Cinnamon increases collagen levels up to six hours after it is applied.
Tomatoes are not just lovely super foods but also a nutritious addition to your diet. According to a study by German researchers, the lycopene in tomatoes helps protects the skin from oxidation that results from sun damage, causing premature ageing. The study involves two different groups that were offered with a daily shot of tomato paste mixed with olive oil and a plain olive oil for a 10-week period. The group who regularly consumed tomato had 40 percent less sunburn than those who consumed olive oil only.
It is very amazing how our diet affects the body including the skin. Keep in mind that you do not need to limit your meal to these super foods but rather include different raw foods to reap all the benefits for your skin.