A kiss from someone with herpes can be very dangerous for a baby
This should have been the best month ever for Nicole and Shane Sifrit. On July 1st, they welcomed their daughter Mariana to the world. Six days later, on July 7th, they were married. But their wedding celebration was cut short when Mariana was refused to eat or wake up.
The newlyweds rushed to Blank Children’s Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa. There they learned their newborn had contracted meningitis caused by HSV-1 — the herpes virus. The doctors explained Mariana most likely contracted the virus from after being kissed with someone with a cold sore. “They touch her, and then she touches her mouth with her hand,” Nicole Sifrit explained to WHO TV. Both mom and dad tested negative for the virus, meaning it was a well-meaning kiss from a friend or family member that exposed the baby the virus.
“It immediately went downhill from there,” Shane Sifrit told WHO TV. “Within hours she had quit breathing and all of her organs started to fail.” Nicole posted daily updates on her daughter’s condition to Facebook.
“Today we were told that if Mariana’s liver can’t repair itself she won’t be able to survive. At this time we don’t know that outcome the only way to determine this is watch the labs watch the numbers and pray,” wrote Nicole. The loving parents stayed by Mariana’s side as she suffered liver damage, heart damage, seizures, and loss of kidney function as a result of the meningitis.
Through it all, they never gave up hope. “I love you BABY GIRL and your daddy and I will be right here to fight your battle with you.” she said. Friends and family set up a Go Fund Me to help the couple with the unexpected medical expenses.
Nicole knew that her daughter’s health was touch and go. “We live hour by hour min by min everything can change in an instant,” she said. Although she was a fighter, the virus claimed Marina’s life on July 18, when she was only 18 days old.