Tuesday , 21 November 2017

Mum warns of danger of washing capsules after toddler is blinded

A mum has issued a safety warning to parents after her toddler got hold of a laundry washing capsule and suffered severe burns to his eyes, blinding him.

Jemima Strain, from Dudley, posted a photo of her son on Facebook to remind parents of the dangers of liquid laundry capsules.

In the image, you can see her son’s eyes are red and bruised from the terrifying ordeal. Jemima also posted a picture of Fairy washing capsules.

‘Please make sure that your children NEVER TOUCH these!’ she wrote.

‘The warnings on the boxes are minuscule and the boxes themselves aren’t childproof.’

She explained that her ‘little human’ picked a washing capsule up and it popped, which meant the liquid went in his eyes.

‘My husband rang NHS direct who told us to get him to A&E immediately.

‘We spent over an hour and a half with a full team of nurses who had to hold him down and force his eyes open whilst trying to neutralize the liquid with a litre and a half of saline fluid to wash out his eyes.

‘He was traumatized as was I.’

Jemima said in her post that she had no idea how awful the contents of washing capsules are.

She added that it was fortunate the family sought medical attention fast, as her son ‘was only blind for 3 days and with drops started to open his eyes and now has full site [sic] back.’

Keep them out of reach’

Jemima wrote that when they took her son to the eye specialist clinic, consultants said they had written to manufacturers ‘begging them to stop making them, as they caused 40 per cent of all chemical eye injuries last year.’

‘If we had not washed his eyes out my son would have suffered from further burns to his eyes and children have had their corneas burned off,’ she said.

‘Please let everyone you know hear this. And share it as a warning.’

She said that the capsules are an ‘awful advertising gimmick’, making them look like fun, squashy pouches.

‘Please don’t let your children help with the washing,’ she continued.

‘These tablets are as bad as bleach and can be life threatening if swallowed.

‘PLEASE KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.’

Her post has gone viral, and has been shared almost 2,000 times.

A spokesperson for P&G, who makes Fairy, said, ‘We are very sorry to hear about this incident and sincerely hope the child is feeling much better now.

‘Nothing is more important to us than the safety of the people who use our products and their families.

‘Fairy Liquitabs are safe when used as intended: and we urge all parents to ensure all laundry detergents are adequately stored and kept away from children.

‘We support the industry-education programme on the importance of safe use: information can be found on www.keepcapsfromkids.eu

We would really like the opportunity to speak to the parents so that we discuss the incident directly with them.’

Source: www.netmums.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thanks for visiting! If you want to see more content like this in your news-feed, don’t forget to give our page a like on Facebook.

Powered by WordPress Popup