Frankincense oil is known as the King of Oils – and it truly deserves this title. I use it daily to promote my health and if I ever had to choose just one oil to have, it would be frankincense. Frankincense has a long history of being used as a prized and precious essential oil. Historically it was used by the Babylonians, Assyrians and Egyptians in religious ceremonies, and as a resin for balms and salves. And of course, the three wise men brought frankincense to the baby Jesus as an offering.
Frankincense is taken from Boswellias when it is extracted from the bark of the tree. The milky-white sap will quickly harden to a resin and then be scraped off the tree in the form of pear-shaped droplets. The color and quality of this resin varies greatly, from the highest quality (clear and silvery in color) to the lowest (of a brown-yellow hue).
The following uses of Frankincense are based upon my own personal experience.
1. Help with wounds from cuts, scrapes, and burns. For even greater benefit, apply Lavender essential oil first then layer Frankincense on top. The combination of these two oils together is amazing when it comes to helping with wounds.
2. Neurological support.
Frankincense is probably the best oil I know of for neurological support. It helps with the function of the central nervous system in particular. Whether it’s helping with clarity of thinking, or balancing the emotions, frankincense has a lot of benefits to offer.
3. Reduce and fade scars. Just combine 2-3 drops of frankincense oil with coconut oil, and directly apply it on your skin.
4. Foster strong immune system. Massage a few drops into the balls of your feet daily to boost your immune system. You can also diffuse it throughout your home or in your bedroom at night.
5. Reduce stress and anxious feelings.
Frankincense oil promotes relaxation and feeling of calm. You can simply rub a few drops mixed in a carrier oil on the back of the neck when you feel stressed.
6. Hormones and Memory
Frankincense can help balance hormones and improve memory.
7. Aging skin. Mix a few drops of the Frankincense with unscented oil (like coconut) and apply to your skin. You can also add a drop of Frank to your daily moisturizer.
8. Head tension. Frankincense can be used to relieve conditions where pain and tension are present.
9. Congestion. Put up to six drops in a sink or bowl filled with very hot water then bend over the sink with a towel draped over your head to contain the steam. Breathe in the vapors for at least five minutes, adding more hot water as needed. Be careful not to scald yourself; the water should be hot, not boiling.
10. Relieve itching. A single drop applied to the affected area will bring immediate relief.
11. Relieve joint pain and swelling. Mix with a carrier and rub into aching joints at night before bed and throughout the day,
12. Clear up problem skin. Dab one drop on stubborn spots morning and night.
13. Relaxation. Add 5 or 6 drops to a diffuser and breath in the oil to open the senses and create a calming atmosphere. To elevate your mood a few drops – as a perfume – works well.
14. Remove moles, skin tags, and warts. Apply a single drop 3 or 4 times a day until gone.
15. Enhance vision. Put 1-2 drops of Frankincense in your hand and then rub your index finger in the oil and rub it onto each of your temple. It can provide greater clarity to your vision and bring everything into greater focus.
16. Remove musty odors. Place a couple of drops in a small dish of water and the room will take on a much fresher smell.
17. Oral Health: Useful as preventative measure against oral health problems such as bad breath, toothaches, cavities, canker sores, and other infections. Try mixing with baking soda and coconut oil to make your own toothpaste.
18. Promote sleep Diffuse frankincense at bedtime to help you slow down your breathing and relieve nervous tension and anxiety. You will sleep like a baby!
19. Enhance the efficacy of other essential oils. Layer Frankincense over other essential oil to enhance that oil’s properties and drive the oils deeper into the cells.